The Global Forum on Urban and Regional Resilience (GFURR) is pleased to announce the 2017 Undergraduate Summer Research Lab program. The Summer Undergraduate Research Lab is a 10-week program designed to give undergraduate students from Virginia Tech, Roanoke College and Hollins University the opportunity to engage in research that explores pertinent issues and challenges in Roanoke’s urban setting. The research program will use Roanoke as a living laboratory and expose students to the collection, analysis and synthesis of primary data. The program involves a final symposium during which students will present their work to stakeholders and the scientific community.
Students-researchers will focus on one of three potential areas of inquiry:
- Refugee populations of Roanoke: Issues of Assimilation and Adaptation;
- Two labs associated with the Virginia Tech/Roanoke Innovation Corridor project;
- Development Policies and Strategies for the Innovation Corridor
- Physical Integration of the Innovation Corridor in the city setting.
Support and Elgibility
The Global Forum will provide a $3,000 stipend to students who meet the program requirements. Additional professional development or social activities may be offered to students.
- Students must be Honors College eligible with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Candidates must be full-time students at Virginia Tech, Roanoke College or Hollins University.
Students must commit to participating in the 10-week program and work between 25-30 hours/week. Students are not permitted to engage in activities that may interfere with program activities.
*** Please note that this program is not for credit
Application must include:
- Application form (please find link): https://virginiatech.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cOYyCo0BhFZc4e1
- Project narrative of up to one page (12 point font, double-spaced) uploaded to the e- application that addresses the following questions:
- What is your preferred area of inquiry and why?
- How do you view your contribution to this area?
- What do you hope to achieve from this experience?
We will begin reviewing applications –February 15, 2017
Awardees Announced – March 4, 2017
For questions or concerns please email Michal Linder (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the title “2017 Undergraduate Summer Research Lab”